Are you looking for a cost-effective way to keep food fresh? You have probably noticed that food, no matter how carefully prepared it is, gets spoiled after a while as mildew and mold start to set in.
This can be a real problem especially if there a lot of leftovers in your fridge. Short of throwing everything away, what do you do? One possible answer is the Ziploc Vacuum Sealer.
This product has been generating a lot of positive feedback on the web and a lot of people say it’s effective when it comes to keeping food fresh.
If this is true, it’s welcome news because when it comes to food we can never be too safe. No matter what type of food it is, we should take all the steps necessary to make certain they’re well preserved.
Oftentimes, however, just putting the stuff in the fridge doesn’t work. So does this product from Ziploc do any better?
In this review we’re going to take a close look at the V151, how it works, the pros and cons and if it’s really effective. While this product has been getting a lot of good reviews, understanding how it works is essential.
Things Need To Consider
The V151 is a vacuum sealing system for keeping food fresh. With it you’ll be able to store food, extend their shelf life and maintain their nutritional benefits.
Available in white, the V151 has vacuum and seal buttons and an airtight locking lid to ensure the content is kept fresh. This system works with uniquely designed rolls and sealing bags so you can put food or other items in the machine.
The system removes the air inside the bag, and this is made possible by its unique pump system, drawing air out and making sure no air manages to get in.
The design is such that the sealing bag produces a second skin over the sealed food. This is a nice design as it becomes clear when the air has been sucked out. Based on our tests this concept really works.
How Does It Work?Once the sealer removes the air from the bag, the bag has to be sealed so moisture and air don’t get back in. This is where the heated seal bar comes into play: it presses the bag, and there is enough heat to melt the bag’s plastic.
This heating isn’t going to create a fire, but what it will do is produce a seal you won’t be able to pull easily. In fact the only way you can open it now is to cut below the seal.
This sealing technique is effective and keeps air out. Experts have determined that vacuum packaging foods really works and that removing the air extends food lifespan considerably.
Because of the way the system keeps food airtight you don’t have to worry about mold or mildew setting in anytime soon. In addition, the Sealer System stops freezer burn.
How Long Will Food be Kept Fresh?
This product keeps food fresh up to 5 times longer than regular methods. Coffee beans stored in the pantry usually last 4 weeks but with the Ziploc it’s good for up to 16 months.
Berries stored in the fridge are only good for 1 to 3 days, but if you vacuum seal them it’s good for a week. Cheese which usually lasts 2 weeks in the fridge can be extended up to 8 months.
Meat stored in the freezer is good for 3 months maximum, but when vacuum sealed it’s going to last up to 3 years. You can also use this vacuum seal to store ground meat for up to a year and fish for two years.
Most vegetables when stored in the freezer last for 8 months, but if you use this vacuum seal they’re going to remain fresh for 2 and half years.
The Ziploc doesn’t just prevent food from getting moldy, but it provides additional benefits for your health.
The air we breathe has oxygen and it leads to oxidation which results in the breakdown of nutrients, vitamins and minerals in food. The end result is a drop in nutritional value.
What the Sealer System does is eliminate the oxygen and preserve the nutrients in the food.
As you are probably aware, storage conditions can also affect the taste of food. If not stored properly, fruit, vegetables and other food undergo changes and we can taste the difference quickly.
Foods rich in fat, desserts, baked goodies and others are among the most vulnerable to being spoiled, which makes them prime candidates for vacuum sealing.
To put it simply, the Ziploc removes the oxygen that affects food taste and quality. By eliminating these factors you’re assured food is well preserved.
- Motor is powerful and does an excellent job removing air.
- The LED lights give you an idea of which function is running.
- The one-touch button provides instant sealing of goods.
- The system uses multipurpose bags which you can use for simmering, boiling and even microwave food. Additional bags can be purchased if you need more.
- The Pulse feature works nicely for sealing liquid or juicy foods since you control the vacuuming. You can freeze liquids before vacuuming them, but if you don’t have the time the V151 lets you do it directly.
- The V151 is compact and easy to use.
- The V151 doesn’t come with a cutter like other products. That being said this is a basic product that still gets the job done.
- It doesn’t come with a removable tray like other systems. This might lead to some minor inconvenience as you have to clean the liquids in the tray. This doesn’t make the V151 hard to use, but it would have been better if you could rinse the tray over a sink.
- This vacuum sealer does not have a means for keeping the bag in position while on the tray. This is not a deal breaker but should be pointed out.
- The V151 has a vacuum power of -27” Hg bar and is more than enough to ensure your food is wrapped tight.
- The Instant Seal and One Touch buttons make the device easy to use. One of the more common problems with other food storage solutions is difficulty using them, but with the V151 you only need to use one hand.
- The design is very suitable for storing baked goods and other delicate food that needs to be handled with care. With the V151 you’re assured all the foods you put in there are not damaged or compromised.
- There is a built-in canister port that allows you to use a wide range of compatible products and accessories to further enhance its functionality.
- The vacuum sealer is built from high quality and durable materials and should last a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are the bags reusable?
A: Yes, the bags for this vacuum sealer can be reused if you cut the edges off a bit. Some customers don’t even need to make any tweaks as you just wash the bags and use them again.
Q: Do I have to use the Ziploc bag only?
A: As many customers have pointed out, this is not necessary as other vacuum bags work just as well.
Q: Is there an attachment for mason jars?
A: There is no specific attachment for mason jars, but you can use the canister attachment and achieve the same results.
Q: Is it possible to seal a bag without using the vacuum?
A: Yes, there is a button required to seal the bag bottom before you can place food in.
Q: Is there a canning attachment option?
A: Yes there is a tube for it.
Q: Is this vacuum sealer use?
A: Yes, the customer reviews have been very positive about its longevity.
Keeping food fresh can be a challenge, and the lack of options in the market didn’t help. With the Ziploc Vacuum Sealer you no longer have to worry about how to keep food fresh or where to store leftovers.
It has an unassuming appearance but our tests show it is very effective when it comes sealing foods and ensuring baked products are kept sealed.
Its motor is one of the most powerful we have come across and it lives up to its claim of being able to crush cans.
As far as ease of use is concerned this sealer is hard to beat as it is basically one-touch, and its intuitive design means you will have no trouble figuring out how it works.
Just make sure to follow all the directions and there should not be any problems with its operation.The bottom line is vacuum sealing food is the most effective way of keeping food fresh.
According to Ziploc this product is capable of extending food shelf life by 5 times, and our tests show this is true.
One of the most common problems that we face with leftover food is preventing mildew, bacteria and spoilage from settling in, and the Ziploc does just that.
If you are tired of seeing moldy food in your fridge or just want to extend the life of the food you have, this product from Ziploc can really help.
It is easy to use, convenient, and affordable and does everything you expect it to. We highly recommend this if you’re looking for quality food storage.