Storing meat in a vacuum sealed bag is the best way to keep the meat fresh. You can just seal the meat up and store in a cooler or freezer.
The great thing about a vacuum sealed bag is that the air seals up the meat without leaving any inside the bag.
Ziploc bags have a tendency to not close properly, and the air inside the bag will cause meat to go bad faster.
Meat may lose its flavor if you don’t properly seal the bag. Any meat that you buy from the store or you have hunted can store in a vacuum seal bag.
There are some things you should consider before you decide to switch over to a vacuum sealer. If you can make your meat last longer, why wouldn’t you take that option?
Things to Consider
Foods You can Store in a Vacuum Sealer
Vacuum sealers are excellent for all types of food. If you want to store more than meat, you can also store vegetables, fish, cheese, and baked goods.
Any type of meat can be kept in a vacuum sealer including beef, chicken, poultry, venison, and fish products.
All you need to do is make sure the bag will fit any size of the product you plan on keeping. It is easy to measure out the right portions of food, and then you’ll just want to make sure that the bag seals properly.
While there are some things that don’t make sense to vacuum seal, when it comes to meat and other foods, the vacuum sealer will work for you.
- 【Keep Food Fresher & Save Money】- The vacuum sealer machine is an essential tool in any home kitchen. Not only will it save you time and money, but using our vacuum sealer machine to preserve food will make cooking and meal prep easier and will enhance the taste of your dishes.
- 【Professional Vacuum Sealer】- Our food vacuum sealer only takes 5-8 seconds to complete the food vacuum sealing. Keeps food fresh 10X Longer Preservation than ordinary storage methods. A perfect solution for keeping food fresher and longer. Reduce your food bills and waste leftovers with our high-quality vacuum sealer. Once sealed and frozen, your favorite foods will keep for up to 3 years.
- 【Easy to Use】- Our food sealer vacuum sealer adopts fully automatic one-button sealing machine operation, hands-free design, LED indicator light. It has 5 temperature modes, 1-3 for dry food and 4-5 for wet food (DRY/WET DUAL MODE). Suitable for meat, seafood, fruits, vegetables, nuts, bread, jars, etc. Meet all your needs. Compact size and lightweight design, super easy for the starner, especially elderly and children. Be a good partner in your family kitchen.
- 【Multifunctional & Excellent Safety】- Fits up to 12.6 inch / 32 cm width vacuum sealer bags. 135W ensures maximum air extraction when sealing larger items. External vacuum design, you can draw water from the jar for preservation. Separated design, you can take off the upper lid to clean the sealer machine easily and safely. This vacuum sealer machine meets applicable product safety testing standards and is durable, keeping you and your family safe is our top priority.
- 【Full Starter Kit】- You will get 1 x Vacuum Sealer Machine, 15 x Vacuum Sealer Bags (7.87 x 9.87 inch / 20 x 25 cm), 1 x Hose, 1 x User Manual, 1 x AC Adapter. Try it yourself. Let's do it. You will love this way of cooking. If you have any question about our Vacuum Sealer Machine, please contact us, we will provide you with a satisfactory solution.
- Food vacuum sealer removes air from specially designed bags. Multi- layer material heat seals to keep air out and prevent freezer burn, reduces spoilage and food waste. And cooking and meal preparation will become easier, more economical and faster
- Two Sealing Modes: Geryon vacuum food sealer is designed with two selectable modes to provide your food with best possible preservation based on your different types of food. You can also reseal bags of rolls, snacks that you only want to seal
- Separated Design: you can take off the upper lid to clean the sealer machine easily & safely. Compact size and lightweight design are easy to store and move around. Fits up to 12" width Geryon or other brand vacuum sealer bags and rolls
- Geryon sealer machine designed with fully automatic vacuum sealing operation, soft touch digital buttons, LED indicator lights, electric plug in and the control center placed on the top panel provides a user- friendly experience for its operator
- Fully Starter Kits: 1x Air suction hose,5 x Heat-seal bags (7.8"*11.8"),1 x roll (7.8"*78"),1xUser Manual, 1 x Vacuum Sealer; Manufacturer's Lifetime Support
Before you start vacuum sealing any meat, you’ll need to take some first steps. You want to make sure the meat is as fresh as possible, whether you pick it up from the store or you hunted it.
You can then run the meat under water and then dry it to make sure any dirt or particles are not on the meat before you vacuum seal it.
The meat should be cut into smaller pieces to make the vacuum sealer work better. If you keep it in small groups when you seal it, it will retain the nutrients and flavor better.
If you’re still unsure about what meat to buy, you can check out the pre-frozen meat that’s available. Pre-frozen meat will keep the nutrients and flavor better than refrigerated meat.
Vacuum Seal Protocol
One of the best features on a vacuum sealer is the automatic sensors. They can detect the sealing bag, and pull out all of the air in the bag.
When the air is sucked out of the bag, any microorganisms cannot multiply throughout the meat.
There are times when the juices and liquids of the meat are sucked out, which pulls out nutrients and flavors. You can use a paper towel at the opening to prevent the liquid from being pulled out of the meat.
If you can find an oxygen absorber, it would benefit you to put that in the bag as well. The mini bags are found in beef jerky and should be useful in a vacuum sealed bag.
Once you have vacuum sealed the bag, make sure to write the date and time on the bag. It will help give you a reference for when you need to eat it before it expires.
Once you have sealed the bag and dated it, you can then take it to your kitchen. Before you put it in the freezer or refrigerator, you want to check for any discoloration.
If a part of your meat is discolored, it can mean it is contaminated. Oxygen may linger when you try to seal the bag, so it’s important you don’t serve the contaminated meat.
If you’re unsure about contamination, know that healthy meat should be the same color before the preservation. If the meat is not discolored and isn’t at risk of being contaminated, you can then freeze or keep it cold.
Just make note of when the meat needs to be eaten so you don’t serve contaminated meat. As long as you follow these protocols, you’ll be set to serve the best steak dinners.
- Prevent mold and fungus from growing
- Protects freezer burn and dehydrated meat
- Keeps nutrients in the meat
- Allows food to have a longer shelf life
- Prevents plastic waste from Ziploc’s
- Keeps the meat’s flavor and texture after sealing
- They cost less than a year’s worth of Ziploc’s
- They’re ideal for storing small amounts of food
- The bags are re-sealable after you open them
- You can place it in a Mylar bag to better preserve food
- The meat doesn’t contaminate easily
- The vacuum sealer is easy to use
- You can store a variety of foods with a vacuum sealer
- Some vacuum sealers are expensive
- The bags can be expensive, depending on the types
- Not all vacuum sealers can work on mason jars
- Some vacuum sealers won’t work on jars with sharp edges
- People may not have the oxygen absorbers available
- It uses plastic, which some people may be averse towards
- The expense on the plastic may get expensive
- Some people may have issues with their vacuum sealer
- There are some units that may not work as they should
- Food does have to be cut into smaller pieces
- Some vacuum sealers may be too big for a kitchen
- You can choose between countertop and portable
- There are chamber, clamp, and retractable nozzle vacuum sealers
- Chamber’s are ideal for heavy duty applications
- Clamp’s are ideal for infrequent home use
- Retractable nozzles are perfect for home use
- Seal your favorite food and preserve it longer
- Upright sealers are perfect for dealing with liquids
- You can choose a set time or automatic sealing cue
- Some offer multi-speed vacuums
- Some are dishwasher safe
- There are models that will catch any liquid that spills
- The bags are made to work better on specific models
- The vacuum sealers are easy to use and maintain
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is there a way to reseal the bags?
A: You can reseal the bags, once you have cut the existing seal off. You want to sterilize the old bag before you seal the new one on it.
Q: Can you prevent freezer burn in a vacuum sealer?
A: Yes, because the way freezer burn works is through oxidation. If there is oxygen available, bacteria can grow and spread through the meat. A proper seal will prevent it from happening.
Q: How can I fix my broken vacuum sealer bags?
A: You can check the bags first to ensure the vacuum sealer isn’t broken. If that’s looking alright, you can then reseal the bag with a new one.
Q: Can you reuse vacuum sealer bags?
A: It depends on what you had stored in the bag first. If you had any meat, you don’t want to contaminate any vegetables you want to seal. The bags should be dry before you put anything new inside.
Q: Can the bags go in the microwave?
A: You can put the bags in the microwave to heat up the food. You don’t want to heat up raw food while it’s inside the bag. Also, avoid microwaving anything with a lot of oil.
A vacuum sealer is the best way to preserve meat and other foods. As long as you clean the meat and ensure the bag is sealed properly, you can extend the life of the food for a long time.
It’s a much easier way to store food than in Tupperware or in Ziploc bags. Depending on your needs, a vacuum sealer is the best option for keeping food.
You want to make sure that the food isn’t contaminated when you seal it, otherwise, you may get sick. As long as you follow all the safety tips and make sure the bags are sealed correctly, they should be fine.
A vacuum sealer is the best option for those who love to eat meat, especially for hunters.
The fact that it prevents bacteria from growing means you can eat it safely without any chances of illness. Be sure to check out the different sealers available to find the right one for you and your family.